School building

Although it can be assumed that Bodrogkeresztúr, like the surrounding settlements, had a school already in the 1400s, it was first only mentioned in the regulations of the farming town compiled in 1607. In this period, the rector's income from vine-growing was largely made up of the wine casks provided by the farmers, and also half of the funeral service fee also went to the teacher in return for the cantorial service. He also received tuition fees from the students and a vineyard to cultivate during his service.

In 1648, the school functioned as a grammar school of the Reformed College of Sárospatak, where students were also provided with basic theological education. 

The first Public Elementary School was founded in 1894. The present school building was once a noble mansion, as reflected by the arched entrance.